- Counter Pollution Manual
Over the years, the Bonn Agreement has adopted a number of decisions to facilitate joint operations to combat pollution or to put the Bonn Agreement into practice. These decisions and other practical information are contained in the Bonn Agreement Counter Pollution Manual. The Bonn Agreement technical working group OTSOPA keeps the Manual under review to ensure that best available technologies are being used.
Chapter Title Updated Volume 1. Administration 1.1 - 1.11 National Chapters November 2020 1.12
2020 1.13 Bonn Agreement Text 1.14 Bonn Exercises 2020 1.15 Claims Management 2020 1.16 Host Nation Support 2020 1.17 Guidelines for Evaluation 2012 Volume 2. Operational Aspects 2.1 National Points of Contact 2020 2.2 The POLREP System and Procedures 2020 2.3 Policy & Combatting Pollution 2020 2.4 Recommended Command Structures and Communication 2020 2.5 Dispersants 2020 2.6 Equipment 2020 2.7 Inventory Asset Management 2020 2.8 Hazardous Substances
(Printable version available from the Secretariat on request)
2021 2.9 OSINET 2020 2.10 Wildlife Response 2020 2.11 Places of Refuge 2020 2.12 Emergency Towing 2020
- 1.1-1.11 - National Chapters (Updated November 2020) (2 MB)
- 1.13 - Bonn Agreement Text (232 kB)
- 1.14 - Bonn Exercises (162 kB)
- 1.15 - Claims Management (164 kB)
- 1.16 - Host Nation Support (206 kB)
- 1.17 - Guidelines for Evaluation (217 kB)
- 2.2 The POLREP System and Procedures (190 kB)
- 2.3 - Policy & Combatting Pollution (199 kB)
- 2.4 - Recommended Command Structures and Communication (224 kB)
- 2.5 - Dispersants (210 kB)
- 2.6 - Equipment (88 kB)
- 2.7 - Inventory Asset Management (261 kB)
- 2.9 - OSINet (2 MB)
- 2.10 - Wildlife Response (279 kB)
- 2.11 - Places of Refuge (97 kB)
- 2.12 - Emergency Towing (151 kB)
- NorBrit Plan (82 kB)
- 2.8 - HNS (West MOPOCo) (25 MB)
- Aerial Observations Handbook
Bonn Agreement Aerial Operations Handbook
Operational discharges from shipping are one of the main sources of oil pollution in the North Sea. It was for this reason that, in 1989, the Bonn Agreement was amended to include in its remit the duty to perform aerial surveillance flights in order to detect pollution. One year later the Bonn Agreement published the Bonn Agreement Aerial Surveillance Handbook to provide aerial surveillance teams with information on how to carry out surveillance within the Bonn Agreement area.
The Handbook is intended to be a convenient manual which crews and operators can use during flights. It describes remote sensing techniques as well as cooperation in flight. Aircrews who detect pollution during their flights report the pollution at the end of their flight using standardised forms included in the Handbook.
The Handbook is regularly reviewed and updated by a designated lead country. In 2004, the Bonn Agreement Oil Appearance Code (BAOAC) and Guidelines for its Use were added to the Handbook. In 2008, the Aerial Surveillance Handbook was expanded into, and renamed, the “Aerial Operations Handbook” to include guidance on the role of aircraft in response operations. One of the lessons learned from the Prestige incident was that such material can be helpful as recovery vessels can work more effectively if they receive guidance from aircraft above. Other additions were: a new introductory section; implementation of satellite imagery; aerial spraying of dispersants; information on MARPOL Annexes I, II and V; national information including national surveillance routing points and a map of pollution control zone surveillance regions.
The AOH is supported by the BAOAC Photo Atlas which comprises an array of exemplary photos of aerial observations of different types of oil slicks from accidental or illegal discharges from ships or oil rigs, including SLAR and IR/UV images, together with explanatory texts.
The revised and updated Aerial Operations Handbook is based on long-term experience and is intended to be made available as widely as possible as a flagship Bonn Agreement product.
- Aerial Observations Handbook - Cover Page (112 kB)
- Aerial Observations Handbook Part I- General Information (602 kB)
- Aerial Observations Handbook Part II - Remote Sensing and Operational Guidelines (774 kB)
- Aerial Observations Handbook Part III- Guidelines for Oil Pollution Detection, Investigation and Post Flight Analysis / Evaluation for Volume Estimation (494 kB)
- Aerial Observations Handbook Part IV- National Information (3 MB)
- The Bonn Agreement Oil Appearance Code
07/2/2 "The Bonn Agreement Oil Appearance Code, Report of the Meeting to Evaluate the Validation Test and Report" "Current Status of the Bonn Agreement Oil Appearance Code"
The Bonn Agreement Appearance Code (BAAC) was first developed by the Bonn Agreement in 1993 to estimate the volume of oil on the sea surface. The code used visual inspection to estimate the amount of oil spilled on the sea surface. The code initially had seven different colours, each one related to different thicknesses of spilled oil. However, this proved difficult to use and therefore the colour code was revised to five different colours. It was renamed the Bonn Agreement Oil Appearance Code (BAOAC) and entered into effect on 1 January 2004.
Experience of using the BAOAC over the years is that it is a valid way of relating the appearance of oil to the thickness of the oil layer and thus calculating the volume of the spill. It is supported by scientific literature, small-scale laboratory experiments, mid-scale outdoor experiments and large–scale experiments at sea trials. Operators require training and practice to use the code effectively. Today the BAOAC is applied by operators and surveillance aircraft throughout the world.
- North Sea Manual on Maritime Pollution Offences
The manual describes the authorities and procedures involved in prosecuting discharge offences at sea focusing on the international aspects and practice in Bonn Agreement countries.
- Annual Reports on Aerial Surveillance
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2020 (3 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2019 (3 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2018 (4 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2017 (1 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2016 (2 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance 2015 (4 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2014 (5 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2013 (4 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2012 (2 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2011 (2 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2010 (1 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2009 (1 MB)
- Bonn Agreement Annual Report on Aerial Surveillance: 2008 (2 MB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheets
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2020 (1 MB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2019 (920 kB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2018 (678 kB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2017 (631 kB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2016 (727 kB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2015 (1 MB)
- Aerial surveillance factsheet 2014 (447 kB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet 2013 (2 MB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet: 2012 (1 MB)
- Aerial Surveillance Factsheet: 2011 (1 MB)
- Annual Tour d'Horizon Reports
- SINTEF Reports
- SINTEF Report: BONNEX 2002 (5 MB)
- SINTEF Report: The use of colour as a guide to oil film thickness - Main Report (5 MB)
- SINTEF Report: The use of colour as a guide to oil film thickness - Phase 1: Laboratory experiments (659 kB)
- SINTEF Report: The use of colour as a guide to oil film thickness - Phase 1: A literature review (650 kB)
- Bonn Agreement Brochure
In 2019 the Bonn Agreement celebrated 50 years of cooperation in pollution response and prevention. The 50 Years of the Bonn Agreement brochure outlines past successes, timelines and future goals of the Bonn Agreement.
The 50 years of the Bonn Agreement follows on from the previous brochure: 40 years of the Bonn Agreement.
- Bonn Agreement 40 years brochure
- Observer Guidelines
- Project Proposals
Non-binding guidance on how to develop a proposal for a Bonn Agreement project and on how the Bonn Agreement can support external projects is available here.
- Bonn Agreement Area